Exclusively available from Kernow MRC, an N gauge (1:148) model of the 59/0 as operated by Foster Yeoman in the Mendip Rail livery. The Foster Yeoman 59/0s were true pioneers for the British rail network as the first of a new-breed of locomotive designed and built in North America. Based on EMD’s SD40-2 but adapted to the British loading gauge the 59/0s ushered in a new era of locomotive design when they arrived in 1986.
From 1998 Foster Yeoman began to repaint their 59/0s into a revised Foster Yeoman livery with a large blue band. This livery lasted on the 59/0s until 2015.
The 59/0s (like all the 59s) have a large number of detail variations which we have faithfully captured in our model:
- 59002: revised yaw damper arrangement; exhaust port on right (originally on left as built); NRN roof pods on square bases just behind cab at each end
Our 59s share the following common features:
- Next generation heavy, diecast chassis with smooth running, low friction and low geared design (estimated weight 105+g)
- Highly detailed injection moulded body with photo-etched and wire details and separate plastic parts
- Lift off, easy-access central body section (as per the prototype!) to allow access to the decoder socket and switches
- Prototype body detail variations eg headlight differences, NRN pod locations, cab handrail recesses, cab door handles, roof hatches, exhausts, and accurate chassis variation including variations in cooler pipes, lashing loops and fire extinguishers
- Separate (not solid) angled struts connecting body to chassis to allow distinctive see-through appearance of prototype
- Etched nameplates supplied
- Buffer beam detailing: one end super-detailed with solid air dam, air pipes and cosmetic coupler all fitted. Alternative solid air dam supplied for coupler end, and open air dam for those wishing to couple at both ends
- Working accurate headlights including working marker lights. Lights switchable using easy to access microswitches or with DCC
Next 18 NEM 652 socketNew and improved Next 28 (ESU E24) decoder socket (see our article for more details) and factory fitted speaker for easy sound fitting
- Fine wheels to NMRA RP25 standards
- Body-mounted, kinematic close couplers with NEM coupler sockets