Over 1100 cars of 1938 stock were built for London Underground. In 1988 BR bought 20 cars to make up 10 2-car sets to run on the Isle of Wight (replacing older Standard stock on the Island Line) and classified as Class 483. The Class 483 sets were overhauled at Eastleigh between 1989 and 1992 with testing on the mainline between Basingstoke and Eastleigh then Woking – Portsmouth and the Shepperton branch. The first Class 483 set arrived on the Isle of Wight in mid 1989.
Our model features:
- detailed bodyshells with separate flush-glazing
- one car motorised
- DCC socket in each driving car (ie both cars in a 2-car unit)
- moulded interiors
- working head and tail lights
- saloon lighting (non-motor car only)
- alternative couplers for ends to enable sets to be run in multiple
Please note that you are pre-ordering a model in development and delivery will be at least 12 months (but in return for pre-ordering you get a discounted price).