An N gauge (1:148) model (twin pack) of BR’s YLA(/YMA) Mullet engineers wagons. The YLA Mullet was originally built in 1959-61 as Borails. In 1981-2 150 of the 165 Borails were converted to Borail BRAs with new Y25 bogies, air brakes, new bolsters (6 instead of 5) and a low body added on top of the original deck – these were moved into Departmental use in the mid-1980s and may remain in use today. During the mid-1980s some of the Mullets were converted in YQA Parrs.
As with the earlier BRA rebuilds the move to Departmental use saw the YLAs used to transport rail from Workington to various BR depots. Many Mullets remain in Departmental use and can often be found with several at the head of an engineers train. Since 2018 EWS/DB have used Mullets to carry out of gauge pipes from Hartlepool to Georgemas Junction, some have been repainted into EWS livery.
Our model will feature:
- twin pack of wagons (each individually numbered and with prototypical livery variations)
- accurate details of bogie type, brake gear/brake wheels and buffer differences
- highly detailed plastic body with diecast body/underframe
- NMRA RP25 wheelsets on 12.25mm axles
- NEM close couplers with kinematic coupler sockets with dummy screwlink couplers
Please note that you are pre-ordering a model which is in development and will be delivered in the future (in return for a discounted price).
Prototype picture courtesy of Mike Cubberley (with great thanks!)